After felting, it actually fits. Hm. I wish I’d shot the other side so you didn’t see the little row jog. Whoops.

I did a crap job of sewing down the liner–I couldn’t for the life of me keep track of the stitches with all those strands. I think next time, I’ll concentrate more on keeping it vertical than staying in line with the stitches. This is the least offensive portion, and you can still se the stupid shift. But since I wasn’t sure I’d even be able to get a reasonable human head size (and also, and formost, because I am LAZY), I didn’t want to start over.

Before any trickery, here’s how it fit:

Enormous, even though I only made 2 repeats of the pattern. So I opted to start with the (least invasive) dryer technique mentioned at the end of the pattern. The wet hat was even bigger, as to be expected. That’s meaningless, but it was funny, so I took a picture of that, too:

40 minutes in the dryer made it about a size smaller than the original dry size (so if you’re just a bit off, that should do the trick), and snugged up the pattern nicely, but it was still way too big.

So I just went for broke and hand-felted it by kneading in alternating hot and cold water until if fit my head with a little room to spare. Then I spun it out and carefully ran in through the dryer again, et voila!

Respectable fit for me (I can see!–which you can’t tell from my stupid camera angle), and a perfect fit for the intended wearer. It’s also snug as a bug in a rug!

Later I made a swatch of the alphabet I charted for my next project, and I had no problems getting gauge, even in pattern (both got the same gauge in flat single-color stockinette). My new swatch used Knit Picks Merino Style, so maybe I just need a bouncier yarn to get gauge. I’m guessing the spring helps compensate for my inexperience. I’m going to try again with some leftover Merino Style from another project. I weighed out out and I should have enough for a hat but there may be a sudden color change at the end. We’ll see.